Logtalk Wiki + Community Driven Library Repository

Suggestions for new Logtalk features

Moderator: Paulo Moura

rbt

Logtalk Wiki + Community Driven Library Repository

Post by rbt » Thu May 12, 2011 2:19 pm

I wonder whether it would be a good Idea to more encourage people to somehow contribute to the "Logtalk Project". More precisely, I am thinking about a wiki and a community-driven repository for logtalk libraries. What do you think about these ideas?

Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

Re: Logtalk Wiki + Community Driven Library Repository

Post by Paulo Moura » Fri May 13, 2011 4:03 pm

There was a non-oficial but public Logtalk Wiki but it was closed due to abuse. I can give it another try but before that we need to discuss the role of the Wiki. Regarding a community-driven repository for logtalk libraries, the idea is nice but I don't see a demand for it. By demand I mean people wanting to contribute and sharing their own libraries, not people simply wanting to use community libraries.
Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

Post by Paulo Moura » Thu May 19, 2011 9:32 am

P.S. For some opportunities for contributing to Logtalk, see also viewforum.php?f=28. Most of the tasks there would benefit the logic programming community in general, not only Logtalk.
Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

rbt

Post by rbt » Mon May 23, 2011 9:19 am

Sorry for answering so late, but I was very busy last week.
Paulo Moura wrote: There was a non-oficial but public Logtalk Wiki but it was closed due to abuse. I can give it another try but before that we need to discuss the role of the Wiki.
My idea was to use the a Wiki to (additionally) document logtalk and the "community-driven" libraries. However, I do not know how big the logtalk community currently is. It might be frustrating if no one is contributing something. On the other hand, it might invite people to actively contribute something to the logtalk project. At least I would like to do it.
Paulo Moura wrote: Regarding a community-driven repository for logtalk libraries, the idea is nice but I don't see a demand for it. By demand I mean people wanting to contribute and sharing their own libraries, not people simply wanting to use community libraries.
You might be right. Nevertheless, I think it shouldn't be too difficult to set-up such a repository and would give it a try. However, it is up to you. Furthermore, I would like to share a few libraries. How to do that?

rbt

Post by rbt » Mon May 23, 2011 9:23 am

Paulo Moura wrote:P.S. For some opportunities for contributing to Logtalk, see also viewforum.php?f=28. Most of the tasks there would benefit the logic programming community in general, not only Logtalk.
Thank you for that hint. I think it is a good idea to collect opportunities for contributing to logtalk. I guess you correctly understood my intention. I use logtalk for more than 1,5 years now , I am a big fan of it, and really appreciate all your work.

Best,

rbt

Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

Post by Paulo Moura » Mon May 23, 2011 9:50 am

rbt wrote: You might be right. Nevertheless, I think it shouldn't be too difficult to set-up such a repository and would give it a try. However, it is up to you. Furthermore, I would like to share a few libraries. How to do that?
One option is to add your libraries to Logtalk's "contributions" folder. That requires that the contributed code follows the official coding guidelines and ideally that the code be portable to all officially supported back-end Prolog compilers. I can help with both requirements. Maybe you can set a public repository (for the libraries that you want to share), allow me and others to contribute to it, and, after some polishing (if at all necessary), add a snapshot to the Logtalk distribution.

Best regards,

Paulo
Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

ttmrichter

Post by ttmrichter » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi, long-time admirer, first-time caller.

For expanding the contributors directory, might I suggest splitting it into two personalities? You could have contrib/compliant and contrib/noncompliant. People who have little things they want to contribute without going through the vetting process can have them placed in the noncompliant directory until such time as they're altered to suit the coding standards and whatnot and moved over to the compliant directory that way. It could be a form of early access and a way of getting some feedback as to which features of contributed code are of most interest for vetting triage.

Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

Post by Paulo Moura » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:29 am

Nowadays, I think it would be simpler and more effective for all involved to first publish contributions on a place like GitHub. We can then advertise those contributions, even if still in early development, in the website, in these forums, and in the announcements mailing list, asking for feedback.

Coding standards are easy to comply with. The difficult part is often portability of the contribution across the supported Prolog backend compilers. Sometimes that's possible with some work (specially in testing). Sometimes, due to some of the used features (e.g. threads, tabling, or Unicode), the contribution can only be used with a subset of the backends. No problem with that but it means that those dependencies/limitations must be explicit. Also, ideally, a comprehensive set of unit tests would be part of the contribution.

Regarding making a contribution part of the standard Logtalk distribution, the recent move to the Apache License 2.0 makes the process clear thanks to the contribution agreement process.
Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer