Eclipse IDE for logtalk software engineering

Suggestions for new Logtalk features

Moderator: Paulo Moura

Parker

Eclipse IDE for logtalk software engineering

Post by Parker » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:52 pm

I just came across this development environment for Prolog based on Eclipse.

http://roots.iai.uni-bonn.de/research/pdt/

Since Eclipse is widely used as an IDE in software engineering circles and logtalk is well suited to software engineering, this seems a natural progression for logtalk.

Perhaps adapting PDT to logtalk would make a nice student project.

Parker

Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

Re: Eclipse IDE for logtalk software engineering

Post by Paulo Moura » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi!

I'm aware of the PDT project, although I've yet to try it. Note that the title "The Prolog Development Tool - A Prolog IDE for Eclipse" is a bit misleading. At least in its current version, it's a SWI-Prolog IDE for Eclipse. The FAQ makes no mention of other Prolog compilers.

As you wrote, adapting PDT to Logtalk would make a nice student project. I've had for the last few years student work proposals on improving IDEs support for Prolog and Logtalk. No luck so far, which is not surprising as Logic Programming is going the way of the Dodo in academia computer science curricula all over the world, including in my University.

As you're probably aware, the current Logtalk distribution includes support for a fair number of text editors, providing editing services as syntax coloring, code folding, code completion, and code templates. Just out of curiosity, which text editor are you using currently?

Cheers,

Paulo
Paulo Moura
Logtalk developer

Parker

Re: Eclipse IDE for logtalk software engineering

Post by Parker » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Yes, the name is misleading. Günter Kniesel said today that at present they have no plans to port.

My editor already has syntax editing, but as you know an IDE is more than just that.

Now if only Sicstus were to adopt logtalk and get someone to hook up the IDE, they could offer "prolog for software engineering". Now that would be something I would be happy to pay for!

I hope they read this mailing list!

Cheers,
PJ